Friday, January 29, 2010

LUSH and Aveda Spa Review

Wow, wow, wow... where have I been?! Well, since my last post, I got a stomach virus and school started back so I have been somewhere between running around like a chicken with her head cut off, puking, and lying around like a lazy cow. But... I am back! I am going to try to get a video up on YouTube much more frequently, and update my blog more frequently.

First up - my LUSH giveaway contest ends in three and a half hours and I am so excited to see who wins! This has been really fun and I can't wait to do another giveaway!

On to the good stuff - I only got two things for myself when I went to LUSH... why? Mainly because everything, besides these two products, I wanted, they were stinking out of. The main LUSH store at Lenox was closed due to some stupid mall outage, so I went to the one inside of Macy's which is significantly smaller and didn't have as much stuff. Sad day!

The first product I got was the Flosty Gritter Bubble Bar, which I was VERY excited to try!


I've used this bubble bar twice, and have enough for two more baths, so I think that's a pretty good amount of baths for the price. I was a little disappointed that I didn't come out of the bath covered in glitter, but that's okay! The bubbles are sparkly so you really feel like a princess! The smell is a vanilla/lavender aroma and it's featured ingredient is Clary Sage. Clay Sage is useful in alleviating stress, exhaustion, and to alleviate different types of pain. I really do feel more relaxed after taking a Flosty Gritter bath... aaaah!

The second bubble bar I got was The Comforter Bubble Bar


The Comforter is a pretty good sized bar that I would say you would be able to get about five baths out of... depends on how you break it up. You can break up bigger chunks under the water, or smaller ones. It turns the water a nice, light pink shade and smells so, so amazing! It has a blackcurrant smell - it's very upbeat and fruity.

So, if you follow me on Twitter, I mentioned that I was going to get a Hydrotherm Massage from my local Aveda Spa. I've had their regular massages and the hot stone therapy massage, but I wanted to try the Hydrotherm because it sounded really cool. You lie face up for the entire, hour long massage while lying on a heated, water filled pad. Like a waterbed - but better! Your massage therapist massages you using the pressure of your own body and the movement of the water filled cushions to alleviate pain and stress.

My massage girl told me most people leave the heavy comforter off and just stay covered with the thin sheet and leave their undergarments on. It's really your preference. I don't like having any clothes on during a massage, but that's my preference. However, for this one since I was going to be lying face up the whole time I just took her suggestion and left my undergarments on. I - was - ROASTING! The water cushions are covered by a thin, silk like material and I found the temperature of the water to be a little too warm. I would suggest asking your spa about this and if you feel like you may be too hot, let them know you would like it a little cooler. The only place it was uncomfortable was on my lower legs, but that went away as the time went on. Overall, I liked the massage and I definitely liked it better than the hot stone therapy massage. It is a little different lying face up - you really get no back massage which is my favorite part, because I have some back issues. However, if you are pregnant, have been in an accident and it's painful to lie face down or turn over, or older, I think this is a wonderful alternative! If I had to describe it in one word, I would say - relaxing! Would I do it again? Maybe, but I prefer a more intense massage that can really concentrate on the pain in my back and work out the kinks. Lying on the water cushion is really heavenly as you're just floating, so to speak, and enjoying the massage. If you have any other questions, let me know!

I'm including a picture I found off of the internet... The water cushion pictured here is not covered, but mine was... I think it might be uncomfortable lying straight on the cushion - not to mention unsanitary!

3 comments:

Brow Raised Beauty on February 20, 2010 at 12:14 AM said...

I've gotten a couple of LUSH items from my cousin and am deeply confused as to why I seem to be the only person on the Earth who is not impressed:( Did you love these flavors? What other ones would you recommend? I have tried the pistacio and the mint chocolate (smells like playdoh)...

They are moisturizing, but I want something I want to sink my teeth into (I won't really;) )
xBRB

Miss Vintage Vogue on March 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM said...

Hmm well - I really did like the things I tried! I have a review video up on my YouTube page about the two products I purchased. I really like them! Are they worth the ridiculous price they carry? Probably not. I really like The Comforter Bubble Bar because it's a pretty good size and I can get about six baths out of it, which I feel is a fair exchange. The Gritter bar smells nice, but is smaller and I wasn't covered with glitter (which I thought would be kind of fun ha ha!) Those are the only ones I tried because the store didn't have the other products I wanted to try, so that would be all I could recommend.

Anonymous said...

Not bad article, but I really miss that you didn't express your opinion, but ok you just have different approach